Following are some of my more recent projects. Most of the photos can be clicked for a close-up.
Susan wanted a gown to wear to the Jane Austen Society of North America conventions, based on one Anne wears in the 1996 film Persuasion. Here are some stills from the film:
Susan's version isn't intended as an exact copy; she wanted a slightly different neckline and is of a different build than the actress. The gown is made of vintage silk satin and is trimmed with soutache, tiny faux pearls, and cotton Valenciennes lace.
A coordinating stole was made from silk chiffon trimmed and weighted at the ends with soutache and glass pearls.
A year later, the client requested a matching reticule large and sturdy enough to hold a camera, cell phone, and other sundries. I discovered that these items were too heavy for the typical early Regency drawstring reticules, but the more structured bags that came into fashion around 1820 were perfect. This one is made of vintage silk satin to match the dress, trimmed with soutache, glass beads and pearls, cording, tassels, and just a touch of hand-embroidery in silk floss. The top opening is boned with spring steel and the sides are heavily interfaced so the purse won't lose its shape when things are put inside.
Hope wanted a wedding gown based on the lace-over-satin styles so popular in the Regency. We used a beautiful embroidered net over a satin with a cotton back and a silk face. The little train is detachable, so she could have a glamorous walk down the aisle but be able to move easily at the reception. There is a narrow band of glass beads and pearls around the waist and the neck and sleeves are piped in satin. The first picture below was taken before the lace was added to the train.
Mary knew exactly what she wanted: a specific dress from the BBC miniseries Pride & Prejudice. Often multiple versions of a garment are made up for a film, and there are slight differences visible in the two different scenes in which this dress appears. I tried to average them out. Here are screen captures from the film:
Mary chose a soft sage green for the silk underdress, and we used a very fine cotton batiste with an embroidered hem - the kind used for heirloom sewing - for the overdress. This type of batiste is very similar to period muslin; in person it is slightly sheerer than the photos show. I created the scalloped edging on the bands on the bodice and sleeves via the stitches taken while hemming.
Copyright 2009 by David and Jessamyn Reeves-Brown. All rights reserved.
Please do not use any images on this page without permission.